Date: 5th July 2019 at 7:21am
Written by:

Andre Gomes put pen to paper on a five-year contract with Everton at the end of June, bringing an end to the speculation regarding where the FC Barcelona outcast may end up.

Tottenham Hotspur had been heavily linked with a move for the Portuguese ace toward the end of the domestic season, but it was West Ham United who made advances to land the 29-cap ace in the off-season as Director of Football Marcel Brands sat back and waited for his chance to strike a deal with Barca.

The Irons offered the La Liga heavyweights an initial £18million and an improved £20million to try and give manager Manuel Pellegrini his reported top target, yet were knocked back by both the Catalan colossus and then the player, as Gomes had eyes for Everton, and only Everton.

Speaking at a press conference for his second unveiling as a Blues star on Thursday, via quotes by Football.London, the £22million man revealed the Hammers were never close to sealing his services all the while Marco Silva sought to bring him back to Goodison Park after a successful season on loan.

“I wasn’t wondering about the situation,” he said. “I didn’t know all the things that was around me with offers and that kind of thing.

“I just talked with my brother, my best friend, my agent and I told him I would prefer to stay here if Everton want me. This was my first option.”

Everton wanted Gomes, too, and we got our man back until the summer of 2024 on a reported £120,000-a-weeek contract, and can now look to bolster the squad in other areas.

One part of the pitch Gomes would like to see improved is the defence by striking a deal with Chelsea to bring his on-loan partner Kurt Zouma back to Goodison Park, as well.

“I can’t decide [Kurt’s future],” Gomes added, via quotes by the Liverpool Echo. “I will leave that for Marcel. He played really well last season, and he’s a fantastic player.

“If Everton want him, I will say to buy him also! I would like him here.”

Brands is thought to have held opening discussions with the Stamford Bridge outfit to see if 24-year-old Zouma will be on offer this summer, but was told a decision would have to wait until their new manager was appointed following Maurizio Sarri’s return to Italy. The South West London side have now appointed Frank Lampard, however, so a ruling either way should be made soon.